The Hidden Costs of Bottled Water: Why Tap Water is the Solution

Uncategorized By Apr 29, 2023

Bottled water may be perceived by many as a cleaner and safer alternative to tap water, but there are significant hidden costs. Bottles add to plastic waste, with only 23% being recycled according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Transporting water requires considerably more energy and generates more greenhouse gas emissions than tap water. Bottled water is also less regulated than tap water by health and safety authorities, making it potentially less safe, particularly if stored in plastic bottles which can leach harmful chemicals. Bottled water is also often more expensive than tap water, leading consumers to overlook this cost.

The Hidden Costs of Bottled Water: Why Tap Water is the Solution

Bottled water is a popular choice for many people, as it is readily available and perceived to be cleaner and safer than tap water. However, what many consumers fail to realize is the significant hidden costs of bottled water. These hidden costs not only affect the environment, but they also impact our health and finances.

Environmental Costs

The production and disposal of plastic bottles are major environmental costs associated with bottled water. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), only 23% of plastic bottles are recycled, leaving the remaining 77% in landfills or littered in oceans and other natural habitats. These bottles can take hundreds of years to decompose, leading to the accumulation of plastic waste in the environment.

The production process of bottled water also generates a significant amount of greenhouse gas emissions. The transportation of water from the bottling plant to distribution centers and retail stores requires a considerable amount of energy, contributing greatly to carbon emissions and climate change.

Health Costs

Bottled water is often perceived as safer than tap water, but that is not always the case. In fact, bottled water is less regulated than tap water. The FDA regulates bottled water, while the EPA regulates tap water. The EPA has more rigorous safety standards than the FDA, making tap water safer than bottled water in most cases.

Additionally, the plastic bottles used to package water can be a source of harmful chemicals. Chemicals such as bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates can leach into the water from the plastic, posing potential health risks to consumers.

Financial Costs

The cost of bottled water may seem minimal, but it adds up quickly. In some cases, the cost of bottled water can be up to 300 times more than tap water. Consumers often overlook this expense, as they are only purchasing a single bottle at a time. However, when the cost of bottled water is calculated over time, it becomes clear that it is a significant expense.

Switching to Tap Water

Tap water is a safe, affordable, and environmentally friendly alternative to bottled water. Tap water is regulated by the EPA, ensuring that it meets strict safety standards. In addition, tap water is typically free or significantly cheaper than bottled water. By making the switch to tap water, consumers can not only save money but also reduce their environmental impact and potential health risks.


Q: Is tap water really safe to drink?
A: Yes, tap water is safe to drink. The EPA regulates tap water and sets strict safety standards to ensure that it is safe for consumption.

Q: How can I ensure that my tap water is safe?
A: You can check your local water quality report or contact your water provider for information on the safety of your tap water. In addition, using a filter can provide an extra layer of protection.

Q: I prefer the taste of bottled water. Can I still switch to tap water?
A: Yes! Many people prefer the taste of bottled water, but the taste of tap water can vary depending on the source. Try using a filter or allowing tap water to sit in the fridge for a few hours to improve the taste.

In conclusion, the hidden costs of bottled water are significant and impact our environment, health, and finances. By making the switch to tap water, we can reduce our environmental impact, save money, and improve our health.